Mourne Mountains – 8 Day Self-Guided
This 8 day self-guided walking tour takes you along the foothills of the Mourne Mountains from the market town of Castlewellan to the shores of Dundrum Bay and through the seaside town of Newcastle, then walking forest trails and mountain paths through the beautiful Mourne Mountains along the Mourne Way to the banks of the Kilbroney River to ‘Enchanting’ Rostrevor and stunning Carlingford Lough.
Tour Pricing & Dates
|8 Day Tour||€637 per person sharing|
|Tour Dates||1st January to 15th December|
|Tour Grade||Easy to Moderate|
|Accommodation||Guesthouse (en suite)|
|BOOKING||BOOK THIS TOUR|
- Day 1 / Castlewellan
- You will arrive in the small County Down Market Town of Castlewellan, famed for its market square, wide chestnut tree lined wide streets and adjoining castle and forest park.
- Day 2 / Castlewellan to Dundrum Village
- You will begin your day in the 350 acre Castlewellan Forest Park. With Castlewellan lake at its heart and 19th century, Scottish baron influenced castle, Castlewellan Forest Park also boasts one of the world’s largest peace mazes. In the Afternoon you will meander along country roads and farm track to the peaceful and charming village of Maghera to your overnight accommodation in Dundrum Village. Distance: 17km, Assent 270m, Approximate walking time 4.5hrs
- Day 3 / Dundrum to Newcastle
- Today you will begin in the seaside village of Dundrum and its 13th century Norman castle and its majestic views of Dundrum Bay of the Mourne Mountains, through the village you will stroll to the shores of Dundrum Bay and to the Murlough National Nature Reserve and its 6000 year old sand dune system. Then continue your walk along the beaches of Dundrum Bay to the seaside town of Newcastle. Distance: 12km, Assent 100m, Approximate walking time 4 hrs
- Day 4 / Newcastle Rest Day
- Newcastle is a seaside town in the shadows of Slieve Donard, Northern Ireland's highest peak. Home to the world famous Royal County Down Golf Course, its granite promenade stretchs the full length of the town. Here you can spend the day relaxing by the sea in one of the UK's last remaining natural rock pools and enjoy the glorys of the surround or if the weather is right you can attempt to climb Slieve Donard rising 850m from the sea.
- Day 5 / Newcastle to Happy Valley
- From your accommodation in Newcastle, you will make your way to The Game of Thrones ‘Haunted Woods’ of Tollymore forest along the banks of the Shimna River and through Tipperary Wood. You will sweep along the south bank of Tollymore Forest on the slopes of Slieve Commedagh to the banks of the Spinkwee River. You will now join the Trassey track and finish in Happy Valley between Slieve Meelmore & Slive Meelbeg. Distance: 15km, Ascent: 250 m, Approximate walking time 4.5 hrs.
- Day 6 / Happy Valley to Leitrim Lodge
- Setting off from Happy Valley you will continue around the North-West base of Slieve Meelbeg past Fofanny reservoir. You will then walk through Spelga Pass and over Butter Mountain, the highest point on the Way trail at 500m. Following the Rowan Tree River & Rocky River you will descent to Leitrim Lodge and your accommodation in Hilltown. Distance: 14 km, Ascent: 500 m, Approximate walking time: 5 hrs.
- Day 7 / Leitrim Lodge to Rostrevor
- On your final days walking you will follow a mixture of country and forest tracks, firstly along the base of Altaggart Mountain and after a brief climb of the slopes of Tievedockaragh you will decent into Rostrevor Forest and into the Kilbroney River Valley passing the 6th Century convent of St. Bronagh. Finally you will descend further to the shores of Carlingford Lough and into Rostrevor. Distance: 11km, Ascent: 200 m, Approximate walking time: 4 hrs.
- Day 8 / Departure
- At your leisure after your breakfast, the tour comes to an end, and it's time to depart on your onward journey.
- 7 nights B&B and full breakfast All accommodation is pre-booked in approved and carefully selected family-run guesthouses with all rooms en-suite
- All Maps and waterproof route notes
- Details on restaurants and places of interest to visit along the way
- Luggage transfers daily while you walk with a small day pack
- All information on trains or buses needed to get to your first accommodation, during the tour and back at the end of the tour
- Full backup service should you require it while on our tour
- Packed Lunches
- Evening Meals